PG City Constitutional Watchdog Alert!!
Citizens Are Being Double Taxed The Roads
Utah State Law taxes the citizens through what is called "the gas tax” to pay for our roads. Currently, the State takes 70% of these tax funds to pay for State Roads. The County and City split the remaining 30%, which doesn’t give us much to repair and build our city roads.
PG City receives about $750,000 each year from our percent of the gas tax. We took out a BOND LOAN a few years ago to pay for new roads connecting to the freeway and such, which won’t be paid in full until the end of 2017. Yearly payments total $550,000. That leaves us with about $250,000 each year to repair/replace our old roads, which is not enough to keep our roads in good shape.
Citizens have complained for years and continue to, without remembering that most of the road tax funds are paying off old DEBT.
With all this complaining, the city council voted in 2013 for a SECOND ROAD TAX, attached to the Municipal Energy Use Tax on our gas electric utilities. The rate as of June 2013 was 5.051% and was raised to 6.0% in July. This DOUBLE ROAD TAX has given the city an extra $200,000 each year to repair the roads. This energy tax can be used for roads, or just about anything the city has a need. .
You can read the city council meeting notes for July 2013 to find the discussion and vote. You can also pull up the 2013 (CAFR) City Annual Financial Reports. You can track the Class C Road funds in the Final City Budgets of 2013, 2014, and 2015.
In a city council meeting in September 2014, discussions are being readied for January 2015, where they will really dive into finding out what it would take in extra taxes to fix all our roads and then showing the people how money and if they do this,
Many uneducated citizens might end up voting for more road bonds and put our city in TRIPLE TAXATION.
We are currently in city bond debt over $62 million dollars, our underground water pipes need millions to repair, as well as the new unconstitutional mass transit BRT trains and rails that Utah County and MAG are shoving down citizens throats to the tune of $200 million taxed dollars, and the 25 new taxes attached to Obamacare most citizens are not aware of, along with FORCED monthly medical premium payments required of ALL Americans or pay a large fine that increases each year.
We need to get our city out of all debt, increase user fees at all government owned unconstitutional businesses until they are sold, attach a savings to each government utility so no bond loans are needed in the future.
Lisa Liddiard and Jennifer Baptista
PG Citizen Watchdogs
14 Likes34 Comments
PGVoices for responsible government following Constitutional principles. True Conservatives who stand for private property rights, limited government and a free market economy. This blog will be a combined effort to give you easy to understand researched local government information.